Ceridwen

Ceridwen

You kids get off my lawn.

Mountains Beyond Mountains: The Quest of Dr. Paul Farmer, A Man Who Would Cure the World - Tracy Kidder This is not usually something I'd pick up, but it was pressed into my hands by someone who knows I have a shine for infectious diseases. This is a character study of a man named Paul Farmer, a doctor who has done truly incredible things in the battle against tuberculosis, AIDS, and the related illnesses of poverty. His philosophy is a mixture of liberation theology and a belief that communicable disease is almost solely function of poverty and inequality.
Based in Haiti, in some of the poorest communities in the world, Farmer's organization has virtually eradicated tb, which is no small feat. Farmer is a true character, and Kidder captures his verbal ticks and philosophy nicely. As with any biography, especially of a man still living, there's a problem with endings, and this seems to just peter out. If you're interested in the maddening world of global disease control, and of a portrait of a maniac on the side of the angels, this is for you.