Ceridwen

Ceridwen

You kids get off my lawn.

Born Under a Lucky Moon: A Novel - Dana Precious So, this book was sent to me by a friend who is friends with the author, and I'm feeling a little ticklish about the review. So I guess fair warning that there's a link from me to the person who wrote this - tenuous, but there - and if you think I've been damaged by that relationship, as a reader & reviewer, you should take what I say with a grain of salt. In general, you should take what I say with a grain of salt, because I am one person with a set of biases, and yours may not be mine &c.

Oh, time for some digressions, right? I can't even pretend to be fully knowledgeable about this, but there's been a shitstorm recently here on Goodreads.com about author/reviewer interactions, one that makes me feel a little sad. I'm an avid reader, and I spend much time defending the rights of Goodreaders to say what they will and rate how they feel for the books they read. Other reviewing platforms - *coughAmazoncough* - are not so gentle with negative reviews, because they are in the business of selling books - books are product - and a negative review, or even a tepid one, has no place in that world. That's why I love Goodreads, even if they don't QA their fucking site changes like they should, because they are pretty committed to letting all readers have their say. But in the end, it's not like there's some kind of hard wall between the reader and the writer, because we're all people, and god I hope like crazy we're all readers. We have relationships, as readers, as people, and they color what we read and how we respond. I guess this whole blather is just me coming to terms with reading outside my genre and the fact that I feel pretty tepidly about this book which was originally a gift. Etc.

Anyway, hand-wringing aside, this book is not my cup of tea, and I knew that going in, but it's not a bad book or anything. The friend who had this sent to me even teased me about it: look up from the science fiction for a moment, girl!! Okay. I'm game. I don't want to get so ossified in my tastes that I discount books just because the cover makes me die a little, and this cover does. I also know that authors have very little to no say in the covers their books have. Okay again.

So, the plot of this one is a woman is proposed marriage by her bf. She starts into The 1001 Arabian Nights is a bit like this, where if you think about it, it doesn't make sense for two married people to work this way, but in the context of the three days of the play - three days that have other days between them, but those days don't exist on the stage, and for the audience - it works. (Or not. I don't really like Othello; sorry Shakespeare! and Dana!)

I don't know. As I said before, this is not my cup of tea, but it's a light and quick, and wasn't a bad friend for me during a snow-day last month. It's a cup of tea you might enjoy, depending on who you are. I know this is an entirely unhelpful thing to say, but I would have much rather enjoyed a book about the film industry and a competent women working within it, the beginnings of which are in the LA sections of this book. Really, I was so pleasantly surprised at the way the character's work-life was written, given how artificially work-lives are written in many novels, especially those aimed at women. Maybe this is just me dogging on the Midwest sections because I know that sort of life already, and if I'm going to read books about the Midwest, I want to see more blood in the teeth in its depictions. (And the author does do a nice job of capturing certain essential Midwesternisms. I just can't share in the nostalgia.) But that's probably the difference between comedy and satire, and I know I have my preferences for the latter.

*This may be such a true statement that I quail. Wtf American ideas of marriage, why are you so insane?