Ceridwen

Ceridwen

You kids get off my lawn.

Stray Sock Sewing: Making One of a Kind Creatures from Socks - Anonymous, Dan Ta, Liao Chia Wei Curse you, Karen, for having read every single book ever published. I was so excited that maybe I found one I could recommend to you, but no! And reviewed as well!

Oh well, I will get over it.

I found this book at the Borders in Richfield, ghoulishly picking the bones of that collapsing company. Richfield is already pretty weird - it's one of those post-War expansion suburbs that's all single-family boxes and strip-malls. It's too close to the airport, so you can't be outside for any period of time lest the noise rattle the fillings out of your teeth. So that Borders was already weird, and then it got the dirty and panicked store-closing feeling, so it was a funny place to pick up this book, because this book is so freaking adorable.

I started with the making of sock creatures using Stupid Sock Creatures: Making Quirky, Lovable Figures from Cast-off Socks, which is great. This book has more variety in it, I think, more ways to dress up the sock dolls, make faces, form their little bodies. The author is also adorable, a Taiwanese former ad man who fell into sock creature making during his retreat from the advertising world. The instructions and illustrations have the feel of someone who knows how to lay out some copy, and are clear & easy to understand. The kids are in love with the goofy photographs section, and have been bothering me to make just about everything in the book. Here are a few I made out of the book:

description

The cats went super fast - they are single socks, and you may notice that they are sitting on their hind legs like the Velveteen rabbit, so you don't have to make those.

The one that gave me the most trouble was this guy:

description

I was trying to make this fellow:

description

But there were no instructions in the book for this specific doll, so I had to wing it. He ended up with rabbit ears, because that is what the socks said to me, and molding the arms ended up being wicked hard and seriously annoying.

I see that there is a sequel to this, and I'll be looking out for that next time a major bookselling chain gets in financial trouble. How are you feeling, B&N?