Ceridwen

Ceridwen

You kids get off my lawn.

Dying to Live - Kim Paffenroth I don't mean this nastily, but this book did not do it for me at all. All the pieces were in place: sole survivor who finds a stronghold in the zombie apocalypse, which is a library, yow, gross zombie-baby sequence, splatter, etc. But the theology did not hold for me, or felt confused, or something.

Maybe this is a spoiler, but there is a character called Milton who is a sort of intercessor between the humans and the zombies. Like Christ, he's not one thing or the other, or both at once. (And the bitch in me groooannns at the name Milton.) Um, I admit my catechism is super freaking rusty, but I don't get this at all, theologically speaking. Maybe it's because I was never pentecostal, but I have this really hard time reconciling the native nihilism of zombie fiction with salvation. Seriously, if you are going to equate man vs. zombie with man vs. the divine, I want a ton more than hand-waving toward genetic engineering or something.

I dunno. This whole reviewing thing is seriously called into question here. I don't connect with this. I think it's overblown and maybe cheesy, but I see that lots of folk love this and think it smart. It is thoughtful, so much so I can just imagine it's been called a "thinking man's zombie book" more than once. Maybe it is moving, but I don't feel it, and I have some very serious questions about how this allegory works, if it is indeed allegory, and if indeed it works. So, yeah, two stars from me, because it's okay, but I can't say I liked it. Others might. It's not badly written, if you're into this sort of thing. I just don't feel like awarding points to obvious theological hat-tips that aren't going anywhere, and don't come to any conclusions. Boo.