Ceridwen

Ceridwen

You kids get off my lawn.

Feed - Mira Grant I'm going to do that thing where I rate this highly and then get all embarrassed and bag on it a little, like I just got caught making out with the awkward dude who the parents like. I mean, he's so corny and laughs at dad's jokes, but hey, it's summer vacation and I'm not looking for anything big. Because much of this book is distinctly corny and over-determined, but then the other parts are cool and fun. And dang if this didn't go down fast, like chugging ice water in the heat. A summer vacation book, and it's summer vacation, y'all.

Some aspects of this book are so corny they make you wonder how seriously we're to take any of it. Like the character names - I love Romero just as much as the next girl, assuming she's a big zombie freak - but I find it hard to believe Americans post-Rising would name their kids George and Georgina and Shaun and Buffy. (Yes, I know the Bufster named herself, which makes it worse, because pop culture expires fast, and even faster in the wake of an enormous social cataclysm.) And the blogger/journalist stuff is totally redonkulous and naive. I know we all want to be Woodward & Bernstein, but Woodward & Bernstein aren't even Woodward & Bernstein anymore, if you really want to bathe in political cynicism, which I do. I don't even follow politics too closely, but half-assed hand-waving towards some sort of sudden national consensus about capital punishment and abortion after the zombie uprising - which, what is that consensus exactly? because I can't make a logic train that ends with people in agreement on those issues, even factoring in walking dead.

And the plot is full on Scooby Doo - which is a plus in my book, don't mistake me. Shaun and Georgia and Buffy, embedded bloggers on the Presidential campaign trail - zomg, like that didn't happen first in like, 2004 - start uncovering a plot that's like, totally bad, you guys. But, even though I'm making bitchy fun here, something worked for me, and I'm pretty sure it was the voice of Georgia. She's so messed up, and so naively honest, and so real that I forgave a ton of stuff I wouldn't normally.

Case in point: zombie animals. Zombie animals are a big trigger for me, which is my own hang up, and I admit it freely. I've tripped out on several zombie novels because of zombie animals, because I see zero way to make it past a zombie apocalypse if godamn zombie mice are in the mix. Even though the fact that any mammal above 40lbs can zombify, I was seriously okay with the way that was dealt with in this wonkish, legalistic glee here in this novel. Actually, the fact that various legal cases were referenced throughout was cool, as was the probably more hand-waving, but medically plausible to me source of the zombie infection. This was Scooby Doo with teeth.

So, yeah, I read the shit out of this. It was incredibly fun to me, especially considering the spoiler that happens right at the end that shifts the perspective. That takes some balls, as does some other spoilerish stuff that I shouldn't even mention. Spoiler. Spoiler. I've read the next two books in a white heat of get this narrative down cold, and I have no idea how I'm going to review them without the spoiler tag in full effect. If you don't like this novel, you won't like the next - especially the second - but if you do, then dag, yo. Here we go. Stay sweet, and I'll call you after summer break.