Ceridwen

Ceridwen

You kids get off my lawn.

Sandman: The Dream Hunters - Neil Gaiman I don't feel like I should be reviewing this, because I read this on the couch half-asleep before I fell into napping, the book slipping from my loosening thumb. Perfect in a way. It felt familiar all the way through, and when I hit the end notes, I figured why: this is a repackaging of [b:The Sandman: The Dream Hunters|166580|The Sandman The Dream Hunters|Neil Gaiman|http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51FWP4QA3KL._SL75_.jpg|160861], with a new artist and maybe streamlined or altered text. I didn't bother to heave up and dig through my library, but I have the other Dream Hunters, and I remember the art like a brushstroke in my mind. I know I should go and lay them side by side and compare, but that seems too mich like work.

The story here is sweet and stinging, starting with a playful wager between a badger and a fox over which of them could drive a young monk from his small temple. The monk is a sly, clever, quiet sort, and sees through their ruses. The fox comes to him as a woman in a rain slick dress, and she falls in love with him. Complications ensue, the way they do in love stories between animals and the celibate. The Sandman, Dream, makes his enigmatic appearances and they made me long for the lost time I had reading Sandman comics when my son was born, me weak and traumatized by new parenthood, reading through all the comics in the thousands of hours spent awake and half-awake because babies never sleep. People say they sleep 16 hours a day, but people are wrong.

Anyway, this is a book for the Sandman enthusiast, for those of us in love with Dream and his emo epigrams. I can't say how useful it is to cast a story like this, a slight literary fairy tale, with a different artist. I appreciate it and resent it with different parts of my mind.