Ceridwen

Ceridwen

You kids get off my lawn.

Riveted -  Meljean Brook Cross-posted on Readerling

Without question the most accomplished of the Iron Seas novels so far, with a smooth and well-paced exposition, likable characters who do not behave like children or (worse) teenagers, and a trotting, road-trippy plot that doesn't drop threads or wander off. Even the cover is better, without the greasy torsos of the first two novels. Greasy torsos really gross me out. Observe:

Iron Duke coverHeart of Steel coverRiveted cover

Admittedly, the Iron Duke looks pretty dry, but someone has oiled the second dude. Yuck. And it doesn't make any sense, because that character was supposed to be a clothes horse and a dandy. I hate to say this, lest I sound like a hipster douchebag, but the UK covers are better across the board. Apparently, I'm out of step in my torso aesthetics with my country. Rule Brittania.

David Kentewess is a vulcanologist traveling to survey Iceland for the alt-history version of the Royal Society; Annika is the daughter of an insular all-female society on Iceland. David also has personal reasons to locate and possibly expose Annika's community. You can see how this might be a problem, despite a meet cute and the fact that they generally enjoy each other. There are other points of connection and fracture between the two of them, and Riveted takes time and care to build their relationship with an almost Regency-level restraint. (And I have noted before that this is more an alt-Regency steampunk world, less an alt-Victorian one, dirigibles notwithstanding. Though the first manned balloon flight was in 1783, which is kind of a trip if you think about it. Anyhoo.)

So, it seems to me that romance novels - especially those that fall in to the broad rubric of paranormal - often deal with various kinds of body trauma. The paranormal, with its extreme and changing bodies - the animistic werewolf rippling with fur, the cold blood of the vampire, the insubstantiality of the ghost - almost externalizes that trauma (which doesn't have to be sexual trauma, but because we're dealing with body trauma here, almost always affects the sexual) and dramatizes it. Omg, I don't want to drink blood; change into a monster; succumb to my biology. Et cetera. Certainly, this can be just badly done, and you can hit a bunch of anorexic ideation, slut-shaming, or just straight up rape fantasy, but trauma's not actually ennobling, and pain and fear bite. But body trauma is often the heart of paranormal romance.

Steampunk is on the far edge of paranormal - there are often scient-ish explanations for whatever megalodon/dirigible/automata - but a pulp sense of goofy hand-waving to explanation is happily part of the genre. And the Iron Seas books certainly have been taking on body trauma in their romantic pairings. I was not at all comfortable with Rhys and Mina's deal in The Iron Duke - even while I really loved Mina's character & the world in general. The whole Alpha male sub/dom thing was just too much for me, though I do appreciate that it's addressed pretty head on.

But here with David, we don't have a big rippling alpha asshole who just has to pin down his lady love and fuck make love the trauma right out of her, but an almost virginal scientist who has been very seriously scarred in a volcanic eruption - one that also killed his mother. His monocle is not foppery, but a prosthetic replacing a lost eye. Three of his limbs have been replaced with prostheses as well. So he's got some body issues: limited mobility, lingering survival guilt, still adjusting self-image and self-loathing, etc. I haven't been much of a fan of virgins-lose-it tales, because, ahem, they almost never match up to the awkward reality, and they make me feel weird for how perfect everything is. But here it was sweet and awkward and occasionally painful - not just whatever hymen stuff, but painful in the sense that you can make some serious missteps while learning a lover's body. Add in the fact that, if you think about, Annika more or less has to come out as hetero. We breeders almost never have to consider our sexual preferences as adolescents, least not the way gay people do anyway, so it is very interesting to see a straight person have to consciously make the choice of straightness, knowing that choice will lead to certain fractures with her community.

This isn't obnoxiously done or anything - there's no Star Trek style arm wheeling about her single-gender community is just as wrong as the rest of them! or whatever, but that does bring me to why I couldn't cough up that last star. This book is incredibly message-y, from gay rights to ableism to racism to fossil fuels to maybe some other other stuff I'm forgetting. It feels like a bitch-move from me to complain about this, but sheer number and occurrences of the messages got to be distracting, and I'm really sorry to say this, a little bossy. It's not that I disagree - yes! don't be dicks to people because of their sexual orientations! - but I felt a little choir-bound. Putting aside the bigots who won't like this anyway - because fuck them - my main criticism is that so much was taken on - race! gender! the planet! disability! - that the take-homes felt dissipated and topically treated, except for the body trauma stuff.

Anyway, another perfectly fun and intelligent alt-history/romance from Ms. Brook, one that balances the needs of the relationship against the needs of the plot in a near perfect manner. I certainly have my preferences for the thickly urban steampunk alt-history - and I did miss the London of the Iron Seas world - but the substitution of desolate, volcanic Iceland was pretty great. And there's a character with my daughter's name! I can see my house from here!

Oh, and by the way? Scientists are hot.

Bangable Dude in history, Robert Cornelius, in a scratchy looking daguerreotype