Ceridwen

Ceridwen

You kids get off my lawn.

Rapunzel's Amazing Hair (Disney Tangled)

Tangled: Rapunzel's Amazing Hair - Kiki Thorpe, Claire Keane Look, I'm on record as freaking out about Disney most days of the week, but this was...good. I picked this up on week 4 of the Borders sell-out decimation, and almost all of the children's section was gone, daddy, gone. I mean it, it was noteworthy how few kids' books were left, just this and some really dire looking Iron Man 2 tie-in stuff. (Oh, and also Dinosaur vs. the Potty, which I'm having non-buyer's-remorse for not buying. I kind of love Bob Shea.)

Anyway, the art is good, really soft and jewel-toned, but without being overly cutesy or precious. There's even a page where you have to turn the book, because the tower has been printed across two pages, and sideways. I'm a sucker for that. It's one of the reasons I love The Night Pirates - the physicality of the reading experience.

So, my real reason for liking this is that it's (possibly inadvertently) subversive. The last line is - and I'm not putting a spoiler on this because, c'mon, let's get real:

Yes, my hair is amazing.
But here's a secret, you see:
I'd trade it all for adventure...
And the chance to be free

Awwwww yeaaaahhh.