Ceridwen

You kids get off my lawn.

Tethered (Iron Seas, #2.5)

Tethered (Iron Seas, #2.5) - Meljean Brook Dearest Elizabeth,

I was thinking just yesterday of all the fun times we've shared, but especially how many letters I've sent you detailing my courtship with my amazing and perfect husband. Of course, not everything was amazing and perfect at first, as I'm sure you can recall. He's an artist, of all things, and I just can't abide all that girly drawing. I mean, I work in a male dominated profession, and it's extremely threatening to me to have a guy hanging around questioning my authority with his feelings and stuff; how will my painting crew ever take me seriously? Certainly years of experience mean nothing when a woman in authority has an artsy boyfriend. I mean, the man uses product. Srsly.

So, Richard and I were hanging around, communing wordlessly using our eyes the way we do, when the most terrible thing happened! The set up is a little confusing, and in truth, even though it just happened I can't really track the details, but the upshot is this: a college friend of his looked him up on facebook, and then after all the friend requests were sent and accepted, the college friend totally hacked Richard's account and started posting all this bad stuff! He liked both Nickelback and Justin Beiber using Richard's account! Who even does that?

Now, you know that Richard is an artist, but he's also an 3133t h4xor, which, I might point out, is totally gender normative so I don't even know why I was being so weird about the art thing. Anyhoo, He totally spray-painted some keyboards with camo like in the movie Hackers, and we were ready to roll with our boss plans to rehack the account and give the college douchebag some well earned comeuppance.

the hackers in the movie hackers huddled around a computer screen

Now, at this point in the letter, I believe it is customary actually to detail all the awesome ways we defeated the college douchebag, up to and including fun evil monologuing from the bad guy, but really we just kicked him into the ship's engine and totally won using our wordless eye-gazing powers. And we didn't kick him into the engine in a cool way, like when Malcolm Reynolds does it to that one dude after they've messed up the train heist for Nisca, but in a way that blows the narrative tension in our big rehacking takedown mission.

Also, the bad guy lived on this really sweet sounding dystopian community, but I'm not going to tell you about that either. I'm going to tell you more about my eye-gazing superpowers and how me and Richard really love giving each other matching guns. Actually, he got an air-rifle this weekend and we had a really good time shooting at pop cans, and then we had some mildly kinky sex because I've got some real issues with male authority so that means that [letter redacted at this point].

[Still redacted]

[Still redacted]

Phew, that was hot, amirite? I mean, who doesn't want to hear about how Richard and I have a love that is more love-like than any love that has ever loved before? And how our relationship is such a vortex of perfection that you can literally kick a bad guy into it and kill him? Or possibly I mean figuratively. Words were never my strong suit, and certainly now that I've got all this wordless eye-gazing going on, I'm out of practice.

So we launched all zig, we saved the princess, and then we deleted all reference to Two and a Half Men from Richard's facebook page. Then we went upstairs and [still redacted].

Thanks for being such a great friend. I'm really hoping my next letter, which will be about Richard's amazing sister, will be much more enjoyable.

Much perfect love,