Ceridwen

Ceridwen

You kids get off my lawn.

The Goodreads Killer

The Goodreads Killer - Dave Franklin Not so very long ago, a site came online called Stop the Goodreads Bullies. I would urge you not to google this site right now, and I'm not going to link to it, but I am going to note its name straight up. Fuck Voldemort. I'll name the blog that shouldn't be named. They claimed they were taking a stand about the big meanies on Goodreads who had the temerity to write bad reviews; uppity bitches and all. The very first posts on the site were a series of profiles of Goodreads reviewers outing their real names, the names of their spouses, editorializing on their parenting skills, and, in at least one instance, noting the places they lunched, avowedly so they they could “get a taste of their own medicine”. This, friends, is a direct threat to readers, and more specifically on female readers (which they all were), offering up personal details of people to silence them with the possibility that psychos might call them at home. Which, again, happened in at least one instance.

Now, while I wasn't targeted by the STGRB freaks in their initial outing, many of the people targeted were my friends, and I was afraid for them. Due to swift action, STGRB ended up scrubbing their site pretty fast of the most egregious and probably legally actionable content. Also, they were forced by a national organization against school bullying to take down the banners they had festooned all over the site. Unfortunately, the post I had that detailed the screencaps of their most terrible shit has gone down, but I saw all this stuff with my own eyes, and if my google skills were better, I could find documentation. (ETA: There's a round-up of dozens of blog posts about STGRB and their tactics here.) There's a lot wrong with STGRB's tactics and philosophy, but one of the biggest problems is that it reduces the critical dialogue to personal threats. When I say, "I don't like your book," the response "I know where you live" is a critical non sequitur with teeth. I've fought with all kinds of readers about interpretation. I hate with a white hot intensity when people say that Lolita was complicit in her rape, for example. But a rebuttal of that nonsense that hinges on the other person's address is no rebuttal at all.

The rest of this review can be found on Soapboxing.net

Look, I totally get how annoying it is to find these teaser reviews that send you off site to read the rest of them. But given how Goodreads management has been insanely delete-happy about reviews that are "potentially off-topic", I'm not trusting my content to this site any longer.