Ceridwen

Ceridwen

You kids get off my lawn.

Jack of Done

Fables, Vol. 13: The Great Fables Crossover - Bill Willingham, Mark Buckingham, Andrew Pepoy, José Marzán Jr.

This is one where I threw it in. I had the next couple volumes on deck even, but alas, I am done with this series. And it's all because of Jack; fuck that guy. I am free of fucks to give, and I absolutely refuse to follow his side-comics to catch up, which I would have to do if I wanted to go on with this series.

I'm not even mad, though, and I'll tell you why: volume 12 came to such a credible and touching crescendo that I feel like the series is a wrap anyway. I've had my ups and downs with this series, and that was a high high up. While I see them trying desperately to set up the next Big Bad, I kind of can't even deal with the denouement of the last. I am deeply not ok with mass murderers being treated like funny grumpy old dudes who don't get Kids These Days, and I want that motherfucker on trial, at the very least. That last awful funeral killed me so hard, and that in a war of losses which must be answered for. It might even be brilliant writing that makes it impossible for me to continue. Which, whoa.

But anyway, Jack. He was ejected from Fables in series one. And good riddance to bad rubbish. I even read the first of his spin-off adventures, but he's such a tragically douchey dudebro that I couldn't go farther than that. Apparently he gets in with some Sandmanish Eternal-types. Which usually I'd be down for, but, weirdly, it turns out I care about the tenor of the protagonist. Which is to say that I don't mind if the protagonist is evil or damaged, but I do care a lot when characters I think are unworthy of my attention become imbued with narrative exceptionalism.

See also: Books four to current in Song of Ice and Fire. Oh, snap.